Notifications
Clear all

Insurance recommendations

23 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@larry42)
Topic starter  

I am trying to buy a Model Y and I called my insurance co. (AAA) to see what it will cost to insure. Tne person said she did not know if they will insure electric cars but will check with underwriting. I guess I am looking for a new insurance company. What are you using?

(@steve32162)
Eminent Member

I, too, have Travelers Insurance and have a Model Y on order. Hadn't even thought that there may be a problem getting auto insurance. I'll be following this post topic closely.

ReplyQuote
(@pmcquillen)

I have Tavelers insurance on my Model X that I just took delivery of last month.

ReplyQuote
(@steve32162)
Eminent Member

Great to know, Patrick.  Now I only need to get mine delivered.

ReplyQuote
(@larry42)
Topic starter  

Check your Tesla App. Looks like Tesla insurance is coming/ is here in Florida.

ReplyQuote
(@steve32162)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @larry42

Check your Tesla App. Looks like Tesla insurance is coming/ is here in Florida.

I wish I knew that months ago.  Although my ordered Y isn't coming now until October, I'm taking delivery on one (hopefully) Monday.  Already had it added to my Travelers auto insurance.

ReplyQuote
(@larry42)
Topic starter  

@steve32162 Hi Steve! Are getting on the the Austin MY SR? If so I would really like to look at it. i have been getting invitations to get one as well. Really want to see one first.

ReplyQuote
(@steve32162)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @larry42

@steve32162 Hi Steve! Are getting on the the Austin MY SR? If so I would really like to look at it. i have been getting invitations to get one as well. Really want to see one first.

Larry, not sure what you mean by "Austin MY SR" but I'm P.O.ed w Tesla. After texting and emailing me to confirm pickup on the 20th, having me e-sign the documents including the loan (dated the 20th) I get another text delaying pickup by 10 days!  Tesla has my money, I'm obligated for a $50k loan and I don't have my car. So, yeah, I'm anxious to see my car, too.

ReplyQuote
(@larry42)
Topic starter  

@steve32162 The early delivery tesla's are mostly the "Model Y dual-motor" which are not the long range model. They are the Austin built Model Y Standard Range that have the new 4680 batteries. BTW I had a model Y for a couple of days and sold it. I cancelled the insurance and got the premium for the unused days returned.

tesla disappointed me in the customer relations aspect as well. damn shame. When/if you get your new car and it is the new Standard Range I would love to look it over.

ReplyQuote
(@steve32162)
Eminent Member

@larry42 Thanks for clearing that up for me.  BTW, I'm getting a long-range (all wheel drive) model Y with the towing package.  I have a sailboat and a Segway that I have to be able to tow.  Once I get it I can then sell my Honda Pilot.

ReplyQuote
(@larry42)
Topic starter  

@steve32162 If you have the VIN for your car, look at the Letter (A or F) to the left of the last series of numbers. If it is an "A" it is an Austin built dual motor Standard Range. If it is an "F" it is a Fremont built Long Range. Which is it?

ReplyQuote
(@steve32162)
Eminent Member

Larry, there's no letter after the last numbers, no F at all. The VIN starts with 7SAYGDEE4NA... The Tesla website id's it as a long-range model.

ReplyQuote
(@steve32162)
Eminent Member

Larry, I just decoded my VIN.  Although the beginning indicates Fremont MY from 2022 (7SA), digit 11 for the plant is A for Austin, TX.  And the motor/drive combo (digit 8) shows "Dual Motor except M3, std winding (usually MY)".  There are no codes for "long range" only std or "hairpin" winding.  So, dual motor, standard winding is what the website calls "long range."

ReplyQuote
(@larry42)
Topic starter  

@steve32162 If it coming from Austin it is a Standard Range  with the new 4680 batteries. I look forsward to seeing it. When are you getting it?

ReplyQuote
(@steve32162)
Eminent Member

I got a text this am that the car is in.  However, I'm leaving tomorrow early, so I won't pick up the car until the 30th.  I wanted Sat the 2nd, but they insisted on finalizing the deal this quarter.  I already got after market floor mats and a tonneau cover and have calls into several electricians for estimates on installing a Tesla wall charger.  One estimate I got was $1500-2000, so I may wait a while before ordering one.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: